Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Beginning Stain Glass

My mother has created stain glass pieces for many decades. I would occasionally help her with designs or cutting glass but never completed a piece on my own. Over the years she has accumulated many scraps of brightly colored glass. I have no idea where the inspiration came from but I decided I wanted to do a stain glass Bozo the Clown using some of those scrapes. My girlfriend Sharon Strong loves clowns and if it was a success I knew she would enjoy the piece. It took many trips to Yakima to complete the piece in Mom’s stain glass studio. I learned a great deal and although my techniques were less than perfect, from a distance it didn’t look that bad.

My next inspiration was a wonderful sunset my husband and I witness when we visited his brother in Molson, Washington. I replicated a section of the sunset in the same mosaic style. The fun think about stain glass is as the light changes the work takes on a completely different look, much like a real sunset.

Now I am hooked on creating more pieces so we spent the summer converting a storage area at the back of our house into a small stain glass studio. We hope to have it done this week. I don’t know where the next inspiration will come from but once I start sorting the bright colored glass pieces hopefully a masterpiece will emerge.