Thursday, July 26, 2012

Russell Investments versus Index Funds

By Candy J. Lee

I have the privilege of working with individuals who occasionally ask the “why” and “why not” questions.  When they do it helps me realize that it is important to constantly reiterate the reasons we have selected Russell Investments over the other 10,000+ investment options we have available to us.  

One particular individual had an IRA which she invested in a small selection of indexed funds.  The funds had outperformed her Russell Investments over the last four years, which begged her to ask the question: “Why am I paying Russell to underperform my own selection?”  I understand this performance lure.  These occasional successful market calls are sirens of the worst order as they make us believe we are smarter than the advisors and that we will outperform them over the long run.